Friday 11 July 2014

MARK-I, ASCC (1944):,Harvard Mark I

MARK-I, ASCC (1944):
The Harvard Mark I designed primarily by Prof. Howard Aiken launches today's computer industry. The Mark I is the world's first fully automatic computer and the first machine to fulfill Babbage's dream. 1945
A programmable, electromechanical calculator designed by professor Howard Aiken. Built by IBM and installed at Harvard in 1944, it strung 78 adding machines together to perform three calculations per second. It is also known as ASCC (Automatic Sequence Controlled Calculator). It was 51 feet long, weighed five tons and used paper tape for input and typewriters for output. Made of 765,000 parts, it sounded like a thousand knitting needles The Mark I worked in decimal arithmetic, not binary, but it could go for hours without intervention.
                                             


to learn more click here


0 comments:

Post a Comment